する - to do
- する ( suru )
- Very common
- JLPT Level
- Vocab Class
- This is a Verb . What is a Verb ?
About this verb
- Verb Type (How to tell?)
- する is a irregular verb (Ends with する or くる).
する is the Japanese verb for "to do". However, it is much more flexible than its English counterpart, and can be used in a wide array of situations.
- When used in combination with the particle を, it means "to perform an action".
- It can be used to turn a noun into a verb. For example: 愛する (to love).
- To say someone is wearing fashion accessories
- Its used to indicate someone's attitude / appearance.
- To indicate the way someone thinks/feels about something.
- To say someone is assigned or raised for a particular position.
- To say something is used in an other way than it was intended.
- [noun]とする means to decide as a judgment/evaluation (I decided its good).
- [noun]にする means to decide as a selection (I decided I want it).
Note that it has its own conjugation forms (see Conjugation section). It is also usually written in hiragana only.
Sample sentences with する
- Today I have a lot of things to do.
- Please help me
- What will you have?
- I often travel
- Classes are starting again soon
- What did you do this morning?
- You must clean your room
- Make a normal packed lunch, ok?
- Have you practiced any today?
- Our fridge is broken